You’ll need administrator privileges to use these command. You can also run them from a command prompt in recovery
Turn off Encryption
manage-bde -off C:
Change C: to the drive that has BitLocker on it. Check with the status command. May not be C if your in recovery.
Also note that after the encryption is turned off it takes awhile to decrypt. Check with status command
Unlock BitLocker Encrypted Drive
manage-bde -unlock C: -recoverypassword 11111-...-99999
Replace C: with actual drive
Replace the numbers at the end to your actual recovery key.
There are multiple ways to reset windows passwords. This one replaces the sticky key program with a command prompt from which you can change the password.
To reset the forgotten windows password, follow these steps:
- Boot from a Windows setup DVD. Any setup DVD should work. Access the command prompt.
- Find the drive letter of the partition where Windows is installed. In Vista, Windows 8 and XP, it is usually C:, I have read that in Windows 7, it is D: I am not sure which one it is. In most cases because the first partition contains Startup Repair. To find the drive letter, type C: (or D:, respectively) and search for the Windows folder.
- Type the following command (replace “c:” with the correct drive letter if Windows is not located on C:):
copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\
This creates a copy of sethc.exe to restore later.
- Type this command to replace sethc.exe with cmd.exe: copy /y c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe
- Reboot your computer and start the Windows installation where you forgot the administrator password.
- After you see the logon screen, press the SHIFT key five times.
- You should see a command prompt where you can enter the following command to reset the Windows password:net user your_user_name new_password
If you don’t know your user name, just type net user to list the available user names.
- You can now log on with the new password.
I recommend that you replace sethc.exe with the copy you stored in the root folder of your system drive in step 3. For this, you have to boot up again with Windows setup DVD because you can’t replace system files while the Windows installation is online. Then you have to enter this command:
copy /y c:\sethc.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe
You are now finished.